Monday, January 10, 2011

Where is God Calling You?

On Saturday, I traveled up the snow covered roads to State College, PA to the God's Call event. God's Call is a weekend filled with workshops, speakers,and worship that help young people discern God's Call in their lives. The Bishop said in her video that the question is not whether God is calling you, but into what ministry are you being called.

 I went to a workshop in which we completed a spiritual gifts inventory. The point was that God has given EACH of us certain gifts and abilities which we can use to grow the Kingdom of God. All of us are part of the body of Christ and the church and have an important role to play. Even if you feel like your gifts are insignificant they are not because God tells us that the body cannot function unless each part does its job. 1 Corinthians 12:21-22 says, "The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” 22 On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable."

God may use your talents in ways you never imagined. Ericka Conklin, a theater major, said that when she watched a dramatization of Jeremiah at the event, she realized that she could use her acting to bring the scriptures alive.

I shared with the group how glad I was that there is a program such as God's Call that helps young people discern God's leading in their lives. I told them that it was a struggle for me to figure out where God was leading me in my choice of college major. I said that I took a leap of faith going from a major that would have had job security and a high income to a communications major and I had no idea where I would get a job but I was excited for the future. I spoke of how blessed I was to be able to work on launching the Susquehanna Xpress and work in a christian environment.

Austin Ulsh, came up to me after I spoke and said that he too has switched majors and now is preparing to make another big change. He has felt God tugging on him to reevaluate his life. He currently is working at a job he loves, but in January 2012 he will be leaving for a year of mission work with a Christian organization called The World Race. If anyone is interested in more information about the World Race or his mission you can check out his blog at austinulsh.theworldrace.org

Perhaps all of us need to pause and reevaluate our lives to see if we are truly listening to God's Call. I encourage you to spend some time in prayer and silence earnestly seeking to hear God speak to your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment