Monday, June 27, 2011

Discernment by Nausea

Hello friends! 


What a joy it was to attend the Susquehanna Conference, United Methodist Church Annual Conference this year! Rev. Adam Hamilton, pastor of Church of the Resurrection in Kansas City, taught a series called "Leading Beyond the Walls" lessons in leadership, worship, preaching, and evangelism.

The series was full of wonderful tips to apply to our Christian walks, however today I would like to focus on just one. He termed it "Discernment by Nausea." 

As Christians we are often faced with choices to make. Sometimes we labor over the decision, weighing all of the factors. It is difficult to know which way God wants us to go. Hamilton suggests that often, we will be able to determine the way God is leading by choosing the option that makes us feel queasy. The option that makes us feel nauseous is most likely the one that is more difficult, risky, and uncomfortable. The other option is often easier, more convenient, and more 'logical.' Yet God did not call us to use our head to pick the practical choice, but rather to follow our soul's nudging. Mathew 7:13-14 tell us that broad and wide is the road that leads to destruction, but narrow and difficult is the road that leads to life. 
I wish I had heard this tip a few weeks earlier to encourage me in my decision-making process. Recently I was asked to give my testimony at a church fair, yet it conflicted with my vacation time. I labored, and labored over this decision because I knew that the way God was nudging me, would force me to give up good times and memories with friends and family. Plus, I would be speaking to a group whom I didn't know. Also, our praise team wouldn't be there to do the worship first, while I assessed my surroundings and became more comfortable. Excuses, Excuses. 
Yet, I still felt this strong urge to share my testimony. God has blessed me so much, and I really wanted to give back. But alas, the allure of the vacation won. Of course, I did enjoy my time away, however it was definitely a learning experience for me. I think it has made me more aware of the impact of every decision I make. Now when an opportunity arises for me to choose God's way, versus my own selfish way...I hope to be able to recognize the queasy feeling in my gut as a directional sign guiding me toward the choice God would have me make.
The vision of Rev. Hamilton's church is to DO WHATEVER IT TAKES, TO BE GOD'S FAMILY to the world. May we filled with God's strength and boldness, to live this out in our daily lives!


To watch Rev. Adam Hamilton's series from AC visit: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=209045249131676

3 comments:

  1. This is interesting. I have always thought that the queasiness was God's way of telling me NOT to do something......

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Science Mom,

    Thank you for your comment. I understand how the queasiness could also be interpreted as God telling you NOT to do something.

    For example, if your boss told you to do something unethical, you would probably feel ill. God would not want you to compromise your values.

    But, in a way the queasy feeling is God telling you to DO something: to take a stand and tell your boss that you will not fulfill his orders, even if it means risking your job.

    Anyhow, maybe there are too many double negatives in that example.

    I think the queasiness tip works best if there are several choices between which we oscillate. Often, the one that gives us jitters is the one that requires us to step outside of our comfort zone and into the will of God.

    ReplyDelete