Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Relationships Bloom into Roses

I know I've written about it before, but I think that setting aside time daily to become aware of the positives in our lives make us happier and more grateful people. My sister has a nighttime ritual with her daughter in which they discuss their favorite and least favorite parts of the day, they call it their "rose and thorn."


Yesterday, my sister, nieces, cousin and I visited the Pennsylvania Farm Show. We enjoyed the sights,sounds, taste, touch, and well, not so much the smell at the event. Though even the farm smells, added to the sensory experience that makes the event so wonderful for kids and adults alike.


However, none of the activities or sights at the show made it to the top of the list for my nieces favorite part of the day. Instead the part she enjoyed the most was playing kitchen and reading with a distant cousin that she doesn't see very often.


It is wonderful to know that even in this age of limited attention spans and constant entertainment, people still find the most value in relationships with each other. We do not need to feel intimidated to initiate these relationships with each other. In fact Rachel Held Evans wrote a blog post called "Blessed are the Uncool." She says "We are all uncool. We are all in need of a Savior."


I challenge you to spend a few quiet moment with God and prayerfully listen to what relationships he is asking you to nurture. You never know, the time spent with that person might just be their rose of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment