Monday, February 25, 2013

Mentoring: A form of Ministry

                                                                     
"I told my brother that I feel called to ministry," a Susquehanna Conference coworker from the financial department told me this morning. "He reminded me that I am in ministry through using my skills here, even if it is in an indirect way."

My boss, Jerry Wolgemuth, reiterated that notion this afternoon. "There are many forms of ministry other than just clergy," he said. "Laity has a very important leadership role." 


Are you wondering how God can use you? What skills do you have? Not necessarily direct ministerial skills...but skills for the home, landscape, computer, photography, etc. I believe that patiently passing on our skills and knowledge to others is part of living in community as Christ's family.


One month when I was teaching a youth Sunday School class, we visited different members of our church to learn their stories and skills. One man told us about farming, another woman taught us about gardening, and yet another couple simply shared about past church traditions. During this time, we were able to share snacks and laugh with each other, as well as read scripture on mentoring and grow as believers.


Proverbs 27:17 says: Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.


Each of us has something to learn from another. Here at the Conference, I am appreciative of the mentoring I've received about technology such as Photoshop  video editing, and filming. This hands-on-experience added clarity and understanding to what I learned about these communication tools through my college courses.What skill or knowledge can you pass on? How is God calling you to be part of His community? He has blessed each of us with gifts, it is our challenge to find them and use them for His glory.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a 72 year young quilter and at this moment have nine women from church who are learning to make quilt blocks. What a joy for me to pass on what I've learned over my life. We laugh and enjoy the time together. Even though my home is tiny...cut in the kitchen, sew in the dining room and press in the living room...they don't mind. Thank you, God for this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you, Anonymous. You are a light and a lifter of lives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I agree with Carol, that is fantastic that you are willing to offer your time to teach those nine women how to make quilt blocks. It is a wonderful way to get to know other church members on a deeper level. May God bless you and your ministry. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete